(1972) Landmarks of Liberty – Philadelphia’s Independence Hall (left) and Liberty Bell are both intimately involved with the independence of this nation. Independence Hall was the scene of the procalmation of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. The building also was the meeting place of the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention.
The Liberty Bell (right), which is housed in Independence Hall, was first hung in 1753 and bears the inscription, “Proclaim Liberty throughout all the Land unto all the Inhabitants Thereof.” It was rung on July 4, 1776, to proclaim the Declaration of Independence. Taken to Allentown, Pa., during the British occupation of Philadelphia, it was later brought back. It was cracked in 1835 and now rests on its original timbers as an exhibit. Religion News Service file photos by Don Rutledge.