Why are Hispanic Catholics so concerned about climate change?

Print More
Our Lady of Guadalupe

Public Domain

Our Lady of Guadalupe

Our Lady of Guadalupe

Our Lady of Guadalupe

According to a new survey from the Public Religion Research Institute, Hispanic Catholics are more concerned about climate change than any other religious group in America. And not by a small amount.

Fully 43 percent of them say they are “very concerned” about climate change and another 30 percent say they are “somewhat concerned” — for a total of 73 percent. That’s compared to, in descending order, Nones (60 percent), Black Protestants (58 percent), Jews (53 percent), white mainline Protestants (43 percent), white Catholics (41 percent), and white Evangelicals (35 percent).

The contrast with white Catholics borders on astonishing. Only 17 percent of the latter say they are very concerned. Seventy percent of Hispanic Catholics who attend church regularly say their pastor often or sometimes discusses climate change but just 20 percent of white Catholics who also attend regularly say their pastor does. And where 44 percent of Hispanic Catholics say their congregation has participated in climate change related activities, only 15 percent of white Catholics say their congregation has.

It’s as if Hispanic Catholics and white Catholics belong to different churches. What gives?

The survey offers a hint or two. Sixty-two percent of Hispanics believe that people in poorer developing countries will be seriously harmed by climate change (as opposed to 49 percent of whites). By the same token, HIspanics (41 percent) are more than twice as likely to say they will personally be harmed a great deal by climate change than white Americans say they will (18 percent). (Thirty-six percent of African-Americans expect to be.)

It’s worth noting that perception of climate change as a threat is higher in much of Latin America than it is in the U.S., and that some Latin American countries — notably Costa Rica and Brazil — have already taken substantial steps to address it.

Striking as PRRI’s findings are, they do not stand alone. A couple of years ago, a survey of over 1,000 Latino voters by the Sierra Club and La Raza found that 77 percent believed that global warming was already happening, as compared to just 52 percent of all Americans. Anyone who thinks that concern about climate change is the province of overeducated liberals who have nothing better to worry about should think again. This is not the tree-hugger environmentalism of the 1970s.

It is also one more reason that Hispanics vote Democratic. And one more reason for climate-change-denying Republicans to keep them from voting.

  • cken

    Fortunately or unfortunately climate is more in the province of God than man, and nobody is sure anything we can do as humans will alter the climate. Prayer is likely the best thing we can do.

  • samuel Johnston

    “When in trouble fear or doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.”
    Is climate change real? Why yes -always. Do man’s actions affect it? Yes.
    How much do they affect it? Estimates vary, but probably significantly.
    What should we do about it? Well, we can be prudent and less wasteful- that’s a win win. What should government do about it? Mmmmm……at what cost?
    Mmmmmmmmm……..who has a reasonably reliable cost benefit ratio?Mmmmm…what is the government’s track record on such large scale planning over the decades? Mmmmmm…………….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • samuel Johnston

    “And one more reason for climate-change-denying Republicans to keep them from voting.”
    Shame on you Mark. If you have a case, make it. Voter I.D. is not suppression.
    If it is is an attempt, it is not very successful one.

  • I was thinking more in terms of opposition to comprehensive immigration reform…

  • samuel Johnston

    If that is the Republican reasoning – and it undoubtedly is for some- then it is very short sighted. Mexicans are conservative by inclination and are natural allies of Republicans. Stupidity trumps even self interest.

  • Pingback: Are Transnational Ties Leading Latinos to Express Greater Concern about Climate Change?()

  • I have nothing to say. I can’t remember any kind of word which is appropriate for this post. I just say that this is an authentic and valuable post for all. Thanks for this post. I like this very much. I have very nice and valuable information like that. I want to link your site. You will publish any kind of post please inform me. I also collect this kind of post then stores my blog.
    You can see all at http://www.amryiah.com

  • Pingback: Latino & Anglo RCs in Climate Change - Cathlinks.com()

  • Pingback: Media Roundup | Coverage of PRRI's New Survey on Religion, Values, and Climate Change()

  • Pingback: Are Latinos Expressing Greater Concern About Climate Change? | ctlatinonews.com()