(RNS) The Vatican on Tuesday (June 30) released details of Pope Francis’ itinerary for his Sept. 22-27 visit to the U.S., his first to this country.
He will be arriving from Cuba, where he will spend three full days (he arrives there Sept. 19) visiting Havana as well as the country’s main shrine in Santiago.
In the U.S., he will arrive in Washington, then visit New York and Philadelphia.
Here are details on the stops, via the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and other sources. The best chance of seeing the pope live is at his final Mass in Philadelphia, though motorcade routes have not been announced.
TUESDAY, SEPT. 22 (WASHINGTON, D.C.)
- 4 p.m. Arrival from Cuba at Joint Base Andrews
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 23 (WASHINGTON, D.C.)
- 9:15 a.m. Welcoming ceremony on South Lawn of the White House; brief remarks from Pope Francis and President Obama followed by a private meeting with the president
- 11:30 a.m. Midday prayer with the bishops of the United States, St. Matthew’s Cathedral
- 4:15 p.m. Mass of Canonization of Junipero Serra, on the east portico of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and the University Mall at The Catholic University of America (capacity: 25,000, with tickets distributed through parishes)
THURSDAY, SEPT. 24 (WASHINGTON, D.C., NEW YORK CITY)
- 9:20 a.m. Address to joint session of the United States Congress
- 10:15 a.m. (approximately) May wave to (but not bless) crowd on the Mall from the Capitol’s West Front
- 11:15 a.m. Visit to St. Patrick in the City and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington; to meet with several people served by Catholic Charities
- Noon (approximately) Blessing and brief remarks to the clients gathered at lunchtime for the St. Maria Meals Program of Catholic Charities
- 4 p.m. Depart from Joint Base Andrews
- 5 p.m. Arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 6:45 p.m. Evening Prayer (Vespers) at St. Patrick’s Cathedral
FRIDAY, SEPT. 25 (NEW YORK CITY)
- 8:30 a.m. Visit to the United Nations and address to the United Nations General Assembly
- 11:30 a.m. Multireligious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center
- 4 p.m. Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School, East Harlem
- 6 p.m. Mass at Madison Square Garden (capacity: 18,000)
SATURDAY, SEPT. 26 (NEW YORK CITY, PHILADELPHIA)
- 8:40 a.m. Departure from John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 9:30 a.m. Private arrival (no official ceremony) at Atlantic Aviation, Philadelphia
- 10:30 a.m. Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, Philadelphia
- 4:45 p.m. Visit to Independence Mall, and address to immigrants from the historic site on the themes of religious liberty and immigration
- 7:30 p.m. Visit to the Festival of Families on Benjamin Franklin Parkway (decisions regarding which events will require passes are still to be determined. The Festival of Families and the Mass on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway are open to the public).
SUNDAY, SEPT. 27 (PHILADELPHIA)
- 9:15 a.m. Meeting with bishops and cardinals at at St. Martin’s Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
- 11 a.m. Visit to prisoners and some of their families at Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
- 4 p.m. Mass for the conclusion of the World Meeting of Families, Benjamin Franklin Parkway (more than 1 million expected)
- 7 p.m. Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families, Atlantic Aviation
- 8 p.m. Departure for Rome