(RNS) — The Ten Commandments monument that was knocked down less than 24 hours after it was erected on the grounds of the Arkansas state Capitol is going back up.
Pure Flix — the Christian entertainment studio behind the “God’s Not Dead” series, the recent film adaptation of “The Case for Christ” and the upcoming adaptation of “Same Kind of Different as Me” — has pledged $25,000 toward the cost of rebuilding it.
The money will go to the American History and Heritage Foundation, the nonprofit behind the original stonework.
RELATED: Man arrested for smashing Ten Commandments monument at Arkansas Capitol
“We hope our donation will contribute to the costs to rebuild this beautiful landmark,” Pure Flix COO Steve Fedyski said in a written statement. “Little Rock — and Arkansas in general — have been very hospitable to us and we want give back to the community in a meaningful way.”
A suspect has been charged in the destruction June 28 of the 6-foot-tall Ten Commandments monument, which was driven over by a motorist.
The monument was completed last month after the Arkansas Senate passed an act giving permission for it to be located on Capitol grounds, despite opposition from the American Civil Liberties Union and others who argued it violated the separation of church and state.
Arkansas state Sen. Jason Rapert, the primary sponsor of the 2015 act, said a new monument is expected to take up to two months to finish.
“ACT 1231 is law in the state of Arkansas so it will be fulfilled,” Rapert, who is also president of the foundation, told RNS.
He said the foundation has received more than $55,000 to replace the monument. Rapert said replacement cost could be higher than the $26,000 cost of the original as the foundation may add “some security posts or barriers to protect the monument from another attempt to destroy it.”