Popstar Justin Beiber is known for many things--from skinny dipping to urinating in public to general troublemaking. But now you can add singing Christian worship songs to that list. On the Purpose Tour in Paris, Bieber broke out into an impromptu sing-a-long of "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever" before tens of thousands of screaming Beliebers. (Videos posted below.)
This isn't the first time the popular singer has put his Christian faith on display. To wit,
- In an interview with Complex Magazine Bieber remarked, "We have the greatest healer of all and his name is Jesus Christ. And he really heals. This is it. It’s time that we all share our voice. Whatever you believe. Share it. I’m at a point where I’m not going to hold this in.”
- He told Cosmopolitan that his favorite song was "No Longer Slaves," a Christian worship tune from Bethel Music.
- Bieber got a small cross tattooed on his face. He told E!, "It was a representation of his faith in Jesus and his journey with finding purpose in God." The singer also has a cross tattoo on his chest and the word "Yeshua," which is the Hebrew name for "Jesus."
- He attempted to get baptized by ministers from Hillsong Church in New York City recently.
- Bieber let pastor Judah Smith preach a sermon at one of his concerts.
Whether you're a Bieber fan or not, this kind of public display of faith in conjunction with his other shenanigans might raise questions about whether it's more helpful for celebrities to broadcast their faith or keep it to themselves. In Bieber's case, the seeming mixed messages have prompted some conservative Christian critics online to wonder, in the words of one of Bieber's most popular songs, "What do you mean?"