LOS ANGELES – On June 14th in St. Louis — only twenty minutes from Ferguson, MO — Southern Baptist president Dr. Ronnie Floyd, and a diverse panel of Baptist leaders, will engage in a historic National Conversation on Racial Unity.
Joining Dr. Ronnie Floyd in leading that discussion will be Dr. Jerry Young, the president of the National Baptist Convention USA, the largest majority African-American Christian denomination in the United States. According to Floyd, Dr. Young’s participation in the Southern Baptist Convention will represent a “momentous, historic occasion,” as it is the first time in at least thirty-five years that the National Baptist Convention president has been invited to address the Southern Baptist Convention.
Dr. Ronnie Floyd, the President of the Southern Baptist Convention noted, “racism is at the heart of so many of America’s problems, and one of the greatest sins in our nation today is the sin of racism. There is a race problem in America, and reaching a solution begins with unity in the church. I am looking forward to joining my friend, Dr. Jerry Young, in Missouri to discuss and pray for racial unity.”
The “National Conversation on Racial Unity” will commence immediately following Dr. Floyd’s presidential address, and Dr. Jerry Young will speak on the subject of “Where We Are Today and Where We Must Go in the Future.”
The diverse panel will include representatives from across the United States, such as:
• Jerry Young, President, National Baptist Convention, USA
• Marshal Blalock, Pastor, First Baptist Church, Charleston, SC
• H.B. Charles, Senior Pastor, Shiloh Metropolitan Baptist Church, Jacksonville, FL
• Joe Costephens, Pastor, First Baptist Church, Ferguson, MO
• Timmy Chavis, Senior Pastor, Bear Swamp Baptist Church, Pembroke, NC
• D.A. Horton, Church Planter, Reach Fellowship, Los Angeles, CA
• Fred Luter, Senior Pastor, Franklin Avenue Baptist Church, New Orleans, LA
• Gregg Matte, Senior Pastor, First Baptist Church, Houston, TX
• Kenny Petty, Senior Pastor, The Gate Church, St. Louis, MO
• David Um, Senior Pastor, Antioch Baptist Church, Cambridge, MA
In a co-written editorial for CNN late last year, Dr.’s Floyd and Young made the following statement, “As religious leaders charged with shepherding the faithful, we are resolved to address this issue together. Now, as ever, pastors across America must stand before their congregations and call racism for what it is: ugly, unwarranted, and un-Christian in all its forms.”
Note: Media credentials are required to attend the event though a live stream and satellite feeds can be made available.
WHEN: Tuesday Morning, June 14, 2016, approximately 9:30am – 12:00pm
WHERE: America’s Center, 701 Convention Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63101
MEDIA CREDENTIALS: Johnnie Moore ([email protected])
AVAILABLE FOR INTERVIEWS: Dr. Ronnie Floyd for radio, print, online and TV. http://www.ronniefloyd.com/presskit/
Dr. Ronnie Floyd is currently serving as the President of the Southern Baptist Convention. The Southern Baptist Convention is America’s largest Protestant denomination with more than 15.7 million members in over 51,094 churches nationwide. http://ronniefloyd.com